Monday, February 26, 2007

Spicy Meatball!


I love making meatballs and sauce! It makes me feel like I am back in the "old country", nevermind the fact that I have no italian blood in me and my irish family would look at me as a freak cooking something without potatoes. But making sauce from "scratch" is so easy and really stress relieving, I wonder why anyone picks up a jar. Why not have something that you made hitting the table?

Ingred:
Meatballs:


  • 1 pound of hamburger meat

  • 2/3 cup of breadcrumbs

  • 1 egg

  • about 3 drops of hot sauce

  • 2 cloves of garlic minced

  • quater of an onion

  • sprinkle+ of: italian seasoning, salt and pepper, cracked red pepper, anything else you'd like

Sauce:



  • half an onion

  • two cloves of garlic minced

  • 1 can of diced tomatoes

  • 1 can of sauce

  • 2tablespoons of tomato paste

  • salt

  • pepper

  • cracked red pepper

  • Oregano

  • italian seasoning

  • olive oil-- 2-4 second drop


Meatballs:


Put everything into a bowl, hand combine everything together, then put back in fridge if it has gotten warm. roll bits into balls.heat a pan up and place them in, turning so all sides get browned


Sauce:In a pot that has been warming, add olive oil and let it get warm. add garlic, cracked red pepper, and onion and let them cook up but not brown-- no one likes burnt garlic. add diced tomatoes, sauce, and tomato paste, let it come to a boil, add all the seasonings and mix it, lower heat and let it simmer to thicken


Add meatballs to sauce and cook up pasta or get the hoagies ready for meatball subs.


The meatballs were so tender it was amazing and this meal actually made about 3-4 meals. Which is great as you can have spaghetti and meatballs, meatball subs, meatballs with veggies, and so on and so. Lunches and dinners for 2 days is always wonderful! Plus, what kid wouldn't love a small meatball sub with carrot sticks for lunch the following day?


Spaghetti and Meatballs always makes me think of home even though I can't recall one time my mom ever made it. It takes me back to when sitting down with family for a meal was fun and the food was steaming hot.


Italian meals, perhaps due to those damned Olive Garden Commericals... fuck you marketing!, always make me think of family sitting around the table. Maybe it's because I remember how my grandmother always will burn the bread or that my aunt will ask for the salt 100 times or perhaps even that my mom will silently take the crap her sisters dish at her during dinner, but a good meal with those you love even through the parts that annoy you, is always a great time.


It's hard when you are a single person. We spent years defining ourselves as these individuals but what we really want is the close companionship of family. This is why those in their 20's and on the start of their adventurous lives in new places make their friends their family. So call some friends up to bring over wine, salad, and bread. Cook up these meatballs and laugh at the family that you have that helps you get through the life you are leading now.


1 comment:

toufic said...

very good write ups, keep up the good work, just added you to my bloglines rss feeds

about the potatoes not being in the dish, it might be an interesting (albeit time consuming) idea to make tiny meatballs matched up (size wise as well) with gnocchi. Then you'd have it all covered, meat and potatoes.. all the best